Date:      Fri, 19 Oct 2007 15:45:10 +0200
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org, "Constantine A. Murenin" <cnst@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: sensors fun..

Quoting Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk> (from Fri, 19 Oct 2007 =20
13:20:33 +0000):

> In message <20071019151426.ttkynf788c0g8s4k@webmail.leidinger.net>,  =20
> Alexander L
> eidinger writes:
>
> Alexander,
>
> I'm getting pretty tired of this game of yours.

I'm asking questions to understand what is going on.

> Either you're not paying attention to what I write, or you are so
> totally blinded by rage that you don't try to understand it.

I'm not in rage and I was not in rage.

> This is my last email to you on this subject.

That's sad.

> As far as I can tell, you have nothing to do with the actual code,

We're talking about architecture here in this thread on arch, not =20
about any specific commits to the CVS.

> apart from committing it without proper review and discussion, so

I was willing to discuss this with you and others long ago, but you =20
stopped talking without any notification why. Then you stomped in =20
saying that you don't like the _idea_ of the framework without =20
pointing to technical flaws (you mentioned you didn't even looked at =20
the architecture). Now you tell me that you don't want to discuss =20
architectural things with me. Could you please tell me what I did to =20
you that you don't want to talk with me?

> why don't you step out of the loop, and leave Constantine, who,
> quite frankly, seems to have a better grasp of the subject than
> you, participate instead ?

You don't care to explain where my point of view of monitoring is wrong?

>>> They poll at whatever rate the application ask them to, (using an
>>> ioctl ?)
>>
>> So you want to put the polling interval (=3D3D the polling policy) into =
=3D20
>> the kernel (with e.g, an ioctl)?
>
> No, the "polling policy" does not end up in the kernel if the
> application calls an ioctl that says "poll every 5 seconds".
>
> Look up the meaning of the word policy if you don't belive me.

According to dict.leo.org:
  english                            german
policy     especially [comp.]      die Richtlinie

If you say "poll every 5 seconds" you give the kernel "die Richtlinie" =20
to look every 5 seconds for the sensor data and to provide it to the =20
application. Looks good to me in my language. As you don't like it: =20
feel free to replace every ocurence of "polling policy" with "polling =20
interval" in my questions. If you think those questions are not worth =20
being answered, I would like to know why.

Bye,
Alexander.

--=20
I've got a COUSIN who works in the GARMENT DISTRICT ...

http://www.Leidinger.net    Alexander @ Leidinger.net: PGP ID =3D B0063FE7
http://www.FreeBSD.org       netchild @ FreeBSD.org  : PGP ID =3D 72077137