Date:      Tue, 28 Aug 2001 17:48:51 -0500
From:      Lute Mullenix <lute@willinet.net>
To:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Would like comments and opinions regarding desktop OS switch

On Tue, Aug 28, 2001 at 04:57:11PM +0106, eric k. wolven wrote:
> I agree with Dave:  I have both installed on my box.
>
> They both have different advantages that might appeal to different people.
>
> I do tend to use FreeBSD a bit more but that's because it's "newer" to me
> and I'd like to be comfortable with the os...
>

> I like Debian because of its ease of packaging system and updating--though
> I'm hard pressed with cvsup on FreeBSD to say which is "superior".
>
> I'm not a geek professionally beyond my interest in alternate oses but I
> found both FreeBSD and Debian to be excellent for me...
>

> Eric Wolven

I have to say I find this quite interesting. I have been using Debian
GNU Linux for several months now, and like it alot. Even using the
"testing" version and it's very stable, though X was kind of a bear to
get going on it. I have pretty much stuck with the generic "UNIX" X apps
because I just like using native code software, and I think that
everything I'm running now I could also run on FreeBSD, which I'm
looking for an older Pentium machine to install IT on. What I find
interesting is that most of the people that seem to be running both a
Linux distro and FreeBSD seem to use Debian.

Had FreeBSD installed on an old 486 for a while, but could not figure
out how to get the modem to work, then I found someone that could put
the machine to better use than I was so I gave it to them. Anyway for
the short time I had FreeBSD up and running, I had some fun snooping
around, and have to say, FreeBSD and Debian are two different OSs. As
soon as I can come up with a proper machine I want to get serious into a
FreeBSD install and see if I can get it as usable as Debian is now. The
way it's set up right now, I have no need for anything else. Have never
had Windows installed on one of my machines, and at this rate see no
need to ever have it installed.

Well babbled long enough.

--
 Lute
 -- Inspiring new Signature file pending --