Date:      Wed, 4 Jun 2003 08:19:25 +0300
From:      "Vladislav V. Zhuk" <admin@dru.dn.ua>
To:        Andy Farkas <andyf@speednet.com.au>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: "disable ata" in kernel configuration not working?

On Wed, Jun 04, 2003 at 09:35:53AM +1000, Andy Farkas wrote:
> On Tue, 3 Jun 2003, Gerhard Sittig wrote:
>
> > Your kernel config has ata entries for ISA controllers.  Remove
> > them and your PCI adapter should become ata0 and the disk should
> > become ad0.  (If this is what you wanted, I couldn't get it from
> > your last message and did not follow the thread too closely.)

Mr. Gerhard Sittig, you don't carefully read begin of this tread.
BUGs is BUGs. To fix bugs anybody must correct source code of ATA driver.
Neither voodoo spell nor dancing around box can't to force work properly
wrong code.

> How would I remove ISA ata controllers? I am running FreeBSD-5.1 so my
> config looks like this:
>
> $ grep -i ata /sys/i386/conf/TEAM2
> # ATA and ATAPI devices
> device          ata
> device          atadisk                 # ATA disk drives
> device          atapicd                 # ATAPI CDROM drives
> #device         atapifd                 # ATAPI floppy drives
> #device         atapist                 # ATAPI tape drives
> options         ATA_STATIC_ID           #Static device numbering

I have some config...

[ ... ]

> ata0 irq14                   215722          0  <-- should be ata2
> ata1 irq15                     9656          0  <-- should be ahc1
>
> At least my devices work at irqs 14 & 15.

I'm not lucky or FreeBSD 4.8 can't share this irqs or my hardware
(non ATA) incompatible whith bugs of new ATA driver, but my box
don't work if any device use this irqs.

Old ATA driver corectly probed hardware and if ATA channel is absent -
driver don't touch corresponding irq.

Bugs must be fixed. Who can make this??

--
Vladislav V. Zhuk (06267)3-60-03  admin@dru.dn.ua  2:465/197@FidoNet.org