Date:      Mon, 31 Jan 2000 18:04:51 +0000
From:      Nick Sayer <nsayer@sftw.com>
To:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   vmware hints (was Re: VMware locks up 4.0-CURRENT ...)

I have found a few things to keep in mind:

1. If you cvsup, you should rebuild the vmware port. On a couple of
occasions, I have gotten
bizarre vmware panics, and this has solved them.

2. If you have the linuxulator as a module, do not unload it without
unloading vm*.ko first,
and probably also linprocfs and rtc. Those modules all appear to hook in
to the linuxulator, and if you
rip it out from under them you may panic the machine. I've seen it. :-)

3. If you rebuild the vmware port, you should 'stop' the rc script
first, which will unload
vm*.ko. After installing it, you need to 'start' the rc script to load
the new ones.

4. If you want to remove a CD or a floppy, it's probably a really good
idea to 'disconnect' the
device from vmware first.

5. I think I have narrowed down some choppiness I perceive in the audio.
I think the things that
suck the hardest are DirectSound things -- DxDiag, Windows Media Player
both suck.
The shockwave plugin, sound recorder and ordinary Windows events, like
the start sound and
bell work fine. As such, I am thinking that this is vmware's fault,
since they say that DirectSound
isn't supported yet. If someone with a win98 guest on a Linux host could
confirm this, I'd
appreciate it.

With all that being said, and with the recent patch I posted, I believe
I have achieved complete
vmware nirvanha. :-)