Date:      Wed, 02 Jun 1999 10:29:48 +0900
From:      Kazutaka YOKOTA <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>
To:        John Reynolds~ <jreynold@sedona.ch.intel.com>
Cc:        Simon Griffiths <simon.griffiths@satin.net>, freebsd <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>, yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp
Subject:   Re: X Windows

>> Im trying my hardest to get my mouse working in the configuration
>> section of x windows, but to no avail.  My com port ttyd0 works fine as
>> I tested it using minicom and a modem, but using all possible
>> configuration in x's file it just wont work!!  It isn't the mouse that
>> works fine.  Are there any other hidden files Im not aware of?  Someone
>> please suggest something, cause this is driving me maaaddddd!!!!!
>
>Well, somebody suggested that if you're using "moused" to point to /dev/sysmou
>se.
>
>I recently installed X on a 3.1-RELEASE system (just the other night) and
>ran into the same sort of problems you're facing--which I'd seen in the past
>with a friend's computer.
>
>I have a Logitech MouseMan+ ps/2 mouse. It is auto-detected just fine on
>boot, I can run moused and "vidcontrol -m on" to get mouse stuff on the
>console just fine.
>
>However, when I ran the XF86Setup program, NOTHING I put in made it understand
>there was a mouse. I tried using SysMouse and /dev/sysmouse (as the X README
>says),

You could have hit "Apply" ('a' key) to see if the new settings work.

>then I stopped moused and tried using /dev/psm and my Logitech
>MouseMan, etc.

If you don't run `moused', then you should choose "/dev/psm0" for
the port and "Auto" for the protocol.

>All attempts failed. I could load the X server but when it
>got up and asked me if I wanted to save the config file ... of course I had
>no mouse and thus couldn't click the freakin' button.

I suspect we can hit the tab key to navigate between buttons.

>In desparation, I used the clunky xf86config ASCII configuration program and
>chugged through its questions. When I got done I edited this file and made
>sure I was pointing to /dev/sysmouse and using the SysMouse type protocol (sin
>ce
>if memory serves, it didn't offer SysMouse and /dev/sysmouse as options to a
>mouse device ...).

It appears that xf86config is not very well maintained anymore...

>Then I fired up XF86Setup and used the previous config file as a starting
>point. The mouse WAS seen this time!!! (and then I was able to configure thing
>with the GUI quite easily).
>
>So, perhaps you can do that--use the xf86config program to do all or part of
>the configuration--and make sure you're successfully running "moused" (by
>saying "vidcontrol -m on" and seeing if you can select-n-paste on the text
>console with your mouse).
>
>Does anyone know why XF86Setup chokes even when everything is correctly setup
>for it?

Umm, maybe the new settings were not properly reflected to the internal
variables?

Kazu