Date:      Wed, 3 Mar 1999 08:35:40 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Vincent Fleming <vincef@penmax.com>, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DPT RAID controller PM2554U2

[Format recovered at freebie.lemis.com]

On Tuesday,  2 March 1999 at  9:47:05 -0500, Vincent Fleming wrote:
> Frank Bonnet wrote:
>> I'm going to purchase a RAID controller
>>
>> It will be used as RAID 0 device ( hardware mirroring )
>>
>> It is well known that DPT controller are supported
>> by FreeBSD but I'd like to be sure before buying it ;-)
>>
>> The model is : PM2554U2

Does this thing have a name?  I know names like SmartCache 3, 4 and 5,
and SmartRAID 3, 4 and 5.  The SmartRAID 3 and 4 are currently
supported; the 5 is not yet supported, but work is in progress.

>> The Machine is a DELL 2300 ( PII 450 Mhz )
>>
>> FreeBSD version is 3.1
>>
>> Any info welcome.
>
> I hate to be picky, but RAID 0 is striping, not mirroring.
>
> Mirroring is RAID 1.
>
> As RAID controllers go, you're better off with AMI (American
> MegaTrends) - they make a much better one.

This is the first I've heard of AMI RAID controllers.  Do you have
more details? If it's a real RAID controller and not a SCSI-SCSI
controller, it's not supported.

Greg