Date:      Sun, 6 May 2012 06:41:08 -0400
From:      Jerry <jerry@seibercom.net>
To:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Best mail setup for home server?

On Sat, 05 May 2012 10:21:10 -0500
Joshua Isom articulated:

>I currently use my FreeBSD system as my generic unix server and some
>coding, along with occasional multimedia.  I'd installed postfix years
>ago and kept using it.  Right now, I use getmail with cron, dspam, and
>dovecot to handle my gmail account.  I've never set up outgoing mail
>which makes changing email clients, or devices, annoying.  Currently
>postfix is set to use dovecot's deliver command so that dovecot can
>sort and handle it.  Before I deal with setting postfix to relay the
>mail, dealing with firewalls and other possible issues, is there a
>better alternative?  I'd prefer that local mail "just works" even if I
>lose internet, and any email that gets as far as my server will at
>least eventually mail.  The archlinux wiki seems to suggest ssmtp
>doesn't work properly with attachments.  Instead it recommends msmtp,
>which requires an active internet connection to use.  Dragonfly's dma
>is local only to the computer and not the LAN.  Are the only options
>configuring sendmail or configuring postfix?

If you only have a "dynamic" IP, you might want to investigate
something like: "http://dyn.com/" or a similar service. Attempting to
send mail from a dynamic IP will usually result in it being marked as
Spam and discarded or just being outright refused by an up-line MTA.

Personally, I would stick with Postfix, obviously the latest version. It
is far easier to configure than Sendmail and you can actually speak
with its author if a problem arises.

--
Jerry ♔

The Wright Brothers weren't the first to fly.
They were just the first not to crash.