Date:      Tue, 24 Aug 1999 07:52:41 +1000
From:      Peter Jeremy <jeremyp@gsmx07.alcatel.com.au>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, syssgm@detir.qld.gov.au
Subject:   Re: Softupdates reliability?

Stephen McKay <syssgm@detir.qld.gov.au> wrote:
>I was extracting from the Exabyte to the DDRS disk while applying a CTM
>update from that disk against one of the DCAS disks when it crashed.  The
>Exabyte went wonky (took about 6 goes to get the tape ejected) and the
>rest of the disk system locked up.  The SCSI adapter was so confused I
>had to power down.

The exact order of events is not clear from this.  In general, I'd say
that if something managed to upset the SCSI bus sufficiently to
confuse every target on it, then there's a reasonably likelihood that
data transfers were also corrupted.  A serious bus corruption during a
disk write (either command or data phase) would have a reasonable
chance of resulting in corrupt data on the disk (either the wrong data
in the right place or the right data in the wrong place).

>So, what do people think is the most likely:
>
>  1) the SCSI adapter told the disk to write crap to a couple places
>     on the disk (breaking an inode and some directories)

Personally, I'd go for this one - though it's not clear that the
Fireport40 (or its driver) is to blame.  Any of the SCSI targets
could have caused the problem by deciding to take over the bus at
an inopportune time.

I'm not sure how to go about isolating the problem.  I don't suppose
you happened to bump one of the cables, or suffer a power glitch?

Peter