Date:      Fri, 17 Dec 1999 11:43:43 -0500
From:      Nathan Patwardhan <nvp@colltech.com>
To:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Would like to write "Kickstart" installation documentation

Hi,

After combing through the latest (stable) release source tree, I came
across some interesting details about sysinstall and automated
installations.  (I've been using FreeBSD for about 5 years and never
knew that sysinstall had this capability.)  After reading through a
bunch of man pages, mailing list archives, etc., I realized that there
wasn't "One True Source" for documenting automated FreeBSD
installations and I thought about writing something up -- either as a
white paper/stand-alone document, or as an addition to the FreeBSD
Handbook.

Granted, sysinstall may change at some point or other (per a recent
discussion on -current) but as for the 2.2.X and 3.X releases,
sysinstall is still the starting point for all installations.  So an
effort to develop such a document wouldn't be for naught.

In any case, do you see the need for such a document?  If you do, what
would be the next step in developing it?  Where do you think that such
a document would fit into the current FreeBSD documentation scheme?
Please let me know; I'd love to start moving ahead with this.

Thanks!

--
  |_|  Collective  |_|     Nathan V. Patwardhan <nvp@colltech.com>