Date:      Sat, 3 Aug 1996 10:34:15 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        justin@cyburbia.net.au (Justin Viiret)
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: AutoPPP with mgetty and pppd

> G'day everyone...
>
> Seems like I've been trying to do this for ages now ;) I'm trying to get
> the AutoPPP features of mgetty to dump a user into pppd with PAP
> authentication based on the /etc/passwd file. I've got that much working -
> everything's fine. The only difficulty now is that when a user's logged on
> via AutoPPP, he's logged in the wtmp file (there's an entry for his
> username when I type 'last'), but he doesn't appear to be being logged in
> utmp - so the 'w' or 'finger' commands don't show him. This makes things
> rather difficult for user tracking. ;)
>
> Has anyone managed to get pppd to log the user in both the utmp and the
> wtmp files?
>
> I'm running stock FreeBSD 2.1.5-RELEASE.

If you don't have your heart set on using mgetty - consider trying the
PPP-enabled getty and pppd that I hacked together a month or two ago.

Check the mailing list archives of -isp for a message containing (PPP and
PAP and getty).  I posted a detailed set of instructions at the time..

It is alpha-release code but it appears to work just fine.  Once I get a
few minutes to spare I'll write up some nice docs to go with it, and see
if we can't get it committed to the current source tree.

... JG