Date:      Wed, 26 May 1999 18:56:25 -0700
From:      "Gregory P. Smith" <greg@nas.nasa.gov>
To:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Support for Symbios vs. Adaptect SCSI

> >> The Adaptec chips are generally better supported in
> >> FreeBSD and I wouldn't consider anything else for systems that I build.
> >>
> >> David Greenman
> >
> >Could you elaborate on what you mean by "better supported"?
> >
> >Do you mean:
> >
> >	1) Has fewer bugs?
> >	2) Makes better use of the hardware capabilities?
> >	3) Has a maintainer who is willing/able to devote
> >           more time to the task?
>
>    "Yes". Anything further on this needs to come from Justin Gibbs.
>
> -DG
> David Greenman

I can believe 1 & 3, but could you (Justin?) elaborate on 2?  I've
always been under the impression that everything after the old ISA
Adaptec 1542CF has been basically riding on Adaptec's brand name to
justify their cards costing 2-3x as much as the equivilent Symbios
(NCR) based card.  [You can pick up UW-SCSI 875 based Symbios cards
for $75 bucks these days]

Sun uses the Symbios chipset (875) in their Ultras, Digital included it
(810) on some of their older Alpha motherboards (I don't know if they
integrate SCSI on any of the newer ones).

comments?

Greg