Date:      Tue, 23 May 2000 21:41:01 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mohit Aron <aron@cs.rice.edu>
To:        protozoa@locutus.ghs.ssd.k12.wa.us (Dan Feldman)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD kernel as a replacement for Linux kernel

> First of all, FreeBSD's kernel can use both the Linux and FreeBSD
> interfaces at once. Although it might be possible to remove the FreeBSD
> interfaces, then all you have are the Linux ones - it sounds like a loss
> in functionality to me. Second, the Linux emulator is actually extremely
> good - even very complex threaded programs work perfectly. Problems do
> exist, but these are mostly in the /dev tree and drivers, not in the call
> interface. Sound, video framebuffers, and SVGAlib all work, but only
> barely. Thus I think the only advantage would be that FreeBSD userspace
> apps could use glibc, which is nice, but would break the copyrights on
> both trees :).

Also, package installs are rather troublesome (unless you install from
FreeBSD ports). By default any libraries tend to be installed in /usr/lib
whereas they should go in /compat/linux/usr/lib and so on. Its hard to
get Linux binary packages from the Internet to install easily on FreeBSD.

> If you're really interested in this kind of OS hybridism, why not use the
> GNU/FreeBSD system put out by Debian a while back?

Yes, that'll be perfect for me (and for so many other users wanting to use
FreeBSD on their desktop). I looked at Debian's webpages - couldn't find
the GNU/FreeBSD system. However, I'll take a closer look. Thanks,

- Mohit