Date:      Mon, 10 Jan 2000 23:59:22 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <charon@hades.hell.gr>
To:        Paulo Fragoso <paulo@nlink.com.br>
Cc:        security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Remote Commands

On Mon, Jan 10, 2000 at 11:51:40AM -0200, Paulo Fragoso wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there any way to send enviroment viriables to remote machine using ssh?
>
> Now if I run "/usr/local/bin/ssh remote_machine env" I don't find the
> origin enviroments virables.
>
> If this is possible, How insecure is send enviroment variables?

The "environment" is a rather platform specific thing, IMHO.  For
instance, what does CVS_RSH mean to a machine that does not have CVS
installed?

Using the environment of a SunOS system to a Solaris system could also
break a few things, here and there.  No, in my opinion, passing the
environment state oer the network is not in general a good thing.

--
Giorgos Keramidas, < keramida @ ceid . upatras . gr >
"What we have to learn to do, we learn by doing." [Aristotle]