Date:      Fri, 29 Jan 1999 18:01:20 +0000
From:      Jason Thomson <jason.thomson@mintel.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   FreeBSD Colocation Services?

Can anyone provide co-location services for a (FreeBSD) web server?  (Or
recommend a provider who can).  It needs to be FreeBSD because we use a
custom FreeBSD application (although it could probably be ported).

Background:

We are looking to locate a FreeBSD server somewhere close to the Internet
backbone to provide access to a database product over the Web.  We will
be servicing a relatively small number of customers (tens of concurrent
users) with graphically rich content.  We are looking to improve response
times for customers in the US (and indeed in Europe and Australia).
Overall,  we won't be transferring huge amounts of data (of the order of
200MB/day peak),  we just need to serve pages quickly.  The database will
be updated periodically remotely (and efficiently).  (Initially weekly,
later daily,  possibly several times a day).

Factors Being Considered:

    +    Cost.
    +    Connectivity (high available BW in the US,  but also good
Intercontinental links).
    +    IP address range - at least 4, (aliased) addresses for different
databases.
    +    Possibility of you providing the server (or even CPU time / disk
space on one of your servers).
    +    Geographical location (this may not be an issue if we get a
fully managed service).  Chicago preferred.

Thanks in anticipation of your responses.

Regards,

Jason Thomson,
Director Of IT
Mintel International Group Ltd.