Date:      Fri, 28 Jan 2000 22:46:50 -0500
From:      John Telford <j.telford@sympatico.ca>
To:        Alex Bulygin <root@viaduk.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Something strange happend!

I'm brand new to FBSD but not hardware :-)
I just had a case at my companies collocated  box running FBSD with random
restarts that also displayed a parity error on the RAM. We re-seated the
memory and all is fine. The restarts only occurred when under high memory
utilization. You may want to try some diagnostic software on it. Other things
that may cause this:
Heat due to a  failed cooling fan, lack of air flow, or dust build up.
Don't rule out the power supply yet, they can go bad at anytime, or throw
intermittent surges/dips. I had one a few years back that kept restarting 2
times a month. Once it fried 3 of the 4 drives all in one shot. (3 drives were
*ahem* Quantum Empire, the fourth which survived was a Seagate) It  took our
electronics guy 2 days of bench testing on the power supply before the surge
showed up again.
Regards, John