Date:      Sun, 24 Sep 2000 12:56:04 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Marc Albers <marc@oblomow.demon.nl>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: UDMA write errors on stable and release

> > Since switching to a new motherboard I get the following errors:
> >
> > Sep 14 22:37:27 oblomow /kernel.GENERIC: ad0: UDMA ICRC WRITE ERROR blk# 2523344 retrying
> > Sep 14 22:37:27 oblomow /kernel.GENERIC: ad0: UDMA ICRC WRITE ERROR blk# 2535904 retrying
> >
> > Not only with this installation ( 4.1 Release ) but also with 4.1 stable (see
> > attached messages file)
> >
> > I changed from an Abit AX5 motherboard with a K6 to an Abit KT7 with a Duron 600
> > (Via chipset).
> > Eventually these errors disappear because the system decides to switch to
> > PIO4 mode for disk access. I have gone through the mailing list archive and
> > found several more reports about this, but no solution there.
> >
> > The cable used to attach these UDMA33/66 capable drives is new and not too
> > long and should be capable of handling these speeds. The disks that worked
> > are 2 *  WDC AC34300L.  I also tried a new IBM GXP 30 GB with the same result.
> >
> > Suggestions anyone?
>
> Do a "man ata" and learn how to use sysctl to turn off UDMA33+ on your
> motherboard. The Via chips and the ata driver seem to be very
> sensitive to some UDMA drive combinations. You can corrupt your data
> in really bad situations, which occured at 4.0-Release, and degrading
> to PIO 4 or using SCSI HD's seems to be the only solution at this
> point. The sysctl commands go into /etc/sysctl.conf

Thanks, I tried this and it works but, I checked man ata, and this also states:

     The currently supported controllers with their maximum speed include:

     VIA 82C586 	      Ultra DMA 33 (UDMA2), 33 MB/sec
     VIA 82C686 	      Ultra DMA 66 (UDMA4), 66 MB/sec

     All unknown chipsets can be supported at the maximum speed of 16 MB/sec.

and my /var/log/messages gives:

Sep 16 13:05:49 oblomow /kernel: isab0: <VIA 82C686 PCI-ISA bridge> at device 7.0 on pci0

So this combination is supposed to work. I had several friendly replies from
people on this mailing list but they either didn't have a problem with this
chipset or they suggested switching to PIO 4 mode.
Surely there must be some other way to get this working hopefully at a
better speed.

Does anybody know if switching cable or changing BIOS settings might
have any effect?

Marc Albers