Date:      Mon, 17 Mar 2003 10:33:36 +0200
From:      Willie Viljoen <will@unfoldings.net>
To:        freebsd-ata@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Asus P3V133 with 900MHz Celeron CPU, 100MHz FSB. ATA problems

This is a shot in the dark, but I'll try my luck...

I got a second hand Intel Celeron CPU, listed to run at 900MHz. These are
ofcourse multiplier locked, which is a good thing in this case, because my
board (Asus P3V133) will only do 8x multiplication.

When set at 100MHz FSB, 33MHz PCI clock and FSB == 3*PCI, with 8x mult, the
system boots and detects the CPU as 900MHz. All works well, until the first
heavy disk access. FreeBD crashes and complains of various soft update
problems at the next boot.

The ATA controller the disk is on is off board, based on the CMD 649
chipset. It runs comfortably at ATA100 with my Seagate ST340810A.

When I run the system at the CPU's full listed speed, I get all sorts of
trouble with the ATA controller.

Running it at 66MHz FSB, with the locked mult. giving me 600MHz, all if
perfect, but I'd love to get more than 600MHz out of it if I can.

What also bothers me is that when I boot it as a 600MHz, it identifies
itself as "600E MHz", to denote the SSE instructions supported. At 900MHz,
it is simply "900 MHz".

All I can think is that the controller is not getting properly synced with
the rest of the bus, because it will fail to open certain files in 100MHz
FSB, but the files are back when I go down to 66MHz. Would a non-standard
bus speed that atleast gets me in the region of 900MHz work with this
controller? Does anybody know which speed I should use?

The CPU is listed to run at 100MHz FSB.

Please CC me, I am not subscribed to -ata.

Thanks
Will
--
Willie Viljoen