Date:      Fri, 19 Jun 1998 08:58:59 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Søren Schmidt <sos@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        smp@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG (FreeBSD hackers)
Subject:   TYAN 1668 anyone ??

I have this most odd problem with at least 3 of these boards
(TYAN 1668 dual P6).

The problem is that those boards can lock up totally given a set
of specific events:

Run in a high res graphics mode, that uses linear addressing.
Use the mouse together with disk activity.

This can be done in either X, win95 or winNT with the same sad
result, a total lockup of the system.

If I use the mouse in a textmode, or in a graphics mode that
uses banking, the problem doesn't appear.

We have tried anything here, we have the problem in 3 machines
all of them have had their motherboards changed several times,
we have tried different videocards, mouses, tried SCSI vs IDE,
you name it, everytime with the same result.

They can all "make world" for days in an xterm, given that you
dont touch the mouse, if you do move the mouse and hit a bottom
that will hang the machin solid in 80% of the cases.

I have a TYAN 1662 board which is allmost the same just AT instead
of ATX, and it doesn't show this behavior, even with the same
parts put into the machine....

Any ideas, I'm totally at a loss here....