Date:      24 Jan 2002 11:15:37 -0800
From:      swear@blarg.net (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bad disk partitioning policies (was: "Re: FreeBSD Intaller (was "Re: ... RedHat ...")")

Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be> writes:

> >                              When all's said and done, I symlink /tmp to
> >  /usr/tmp and /var to /usr/var.
>
> 	This has also been discussed previously.  However, I believe
> that there is much more agreement that symlinking /tmp to anywhere not
> on the root filesystem is a really, really bad idea -- what happens
> during boot if the system need to write something to /tmp, but /tmp is a
> symlink to a filesystem that hasn't been mounted yet?

Many (but not all) such problems can be handled by having /tmp symlink
to a directory that exists whether or not a parent of that directory is
mounted.  Eg, /tmp -> /var/tmp and you make a /var/tmp directory when
/var is unmounted.  If anything shows up in the unmounted /var/tmp
(which you could have a script check for just before next "mount -a"),
you've discovered a bug, IMO.