Date:      Mon, 23 Mar 1998 08:31:58 -0800
From:      Don Lewis <Don.Lewis@tsc.tdk.com>
To:        John Saunders <john.saunders@scitec.com.au>, News Subsystem <news@bmccane.maxbaud.net>, isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Uppercase characters in logins

On Mar 23, 12:04pm, John Saunders wrote:
} News Subsystem wrote:
} >         I am supporting several mailing lists on my machine.  For some reason
} > I cannot send mail to people that have uppercase letters in their login
} > names.  They claim they are getting mail from other people, so I assume that
} > my machine is at fault.  I am using standard sendmail with basically the
} > standard sendmail.cf (my domain has been added along with the spam rules).
}
} All (well at least all I know of) mail daemons convert the username to
} lower case before delivering email into a local mailbox. You should
} never allow accounts to be created with uppercase letters if you want
} your system to function normally. Note that when all lowercase letters
} are used for the account, the email address may have uppercase in it
} since sendmail will make everything lowercase.

This behaviour is controlled by the per-mailer "u" flag in the sendmail
configuration file.  If you add this flag to the local mailer definition,
then usernames on incoming mail addresses will become case sensitive.  If
the sender doesn't get the case of all the characters in the user name
exactly right, the mail will bounce.  I suspect this would be a bother
if you want to tell someone your email address over the phone, and would
be dangerous if you had two users with names spelled the same but capitalized
differently ...

It sounds to me like problem described above could be caused if the
sendmail {smtp,esmtp} mailers (or the prog mailer if that's in the path)
are missing the "u" flag.