Date:      Sat, 24 Aug 1996 11:37:43 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        kyricc@inetnebr.com (Mr. Jason A. Borgmann)
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 128k ISDN vs. T1

> Hello, I am in the process of starting an ISP in my area.  I was wondering
> if any of you could list the pros/cons of using a T1 over a 128k ISDN
> (besides speed).  This intended ISP will probably start very small (less
> than 20 people is what we are figuring) but should be able to grow to over
> 200 accounts.

There are two factors from an economic standpoint:  circuit cost and
bandwidth cost.

A T1 may or may not be an expensive circuit (distance dependent), but your
upstream peer will probably charge you $1000-$2000 month for bandwidth.  The
telco generally makes you sign a contract for length of service, as well.

An ISDN line is generally a cheap circuit, but may be metered by the minute
making it less attractive for a dedicated connection.  The bandwidth will be
cheaper because it will be much less.  You generally do not sign long term
contracts with the telco which means that you can switch from ISDN to T1
with only a minimum of fuss.

An ISDN line is inherently less reliable than a point to point T1, mainly
because the telco's are generally really bad with ISDN.

Dennis's response about what kind of router you connect to is somewhat
relevant, but probably not an immediate concern for an ISP with 20 users.

... JG