Date:      Thu, 13 Apr 2023 01:17:47 -0700
From:      Mark Millard <marklmi@yahoo.com>
To:        Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@leidinger.net>
Cc:        Mateusz Guzik <mjguzik@gmail.com>, vishwin@freebsd.org, dev-commits-src-main@freebsd.org, Current FreeBSD <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>, Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert@cschubert.com>
Subject:   Re: git: 2a58b312b62f - main - zfs: merge openzfs/zfs@431083f75

On Apr 12, 2023, at 23:52, Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@leidinger.net> =
wrote:

> Quoting Mark Millard <marklmi@yahoo.com> (from Wed, 12 Apr 2023 =
22:28:13 -0700):
>=20
>> A fair number of errors are of the form: the build
>> installing a previously built package for use in the
>> builder but later the builder can not find some file
>> from the package's installation.
>=20
> As a data point, last year I had such issues with one particular =
package. It was consistent no matter how often I was updating the ports =
tree. Poudriere always failed on port X which was depending on port Y =
(don't remember the names). The problem was, that port Y was build =
successfully but an extract of it was not having a file it was supposed =
to have. IIRC I fixed the issue by building the port Y manually, as =
re-building port Y with poudriere didn't change the outcome.
>=20
> So it seems this may not be specific to the most recent ZFS version, =
but could be an older issue. It may be the case that the more recent ZFS =
version amplifies the problem. It can also be that it is related to a =
specific use case in poudriere.

In my procedure I'm building the same versions of the same ports
that I'd built in the pre-ZFS-import context, just in my
jail for experiments instead of in the jail for normal use.
(So I still have the original package files available.) I
am working a distinct media that started as a copy of my
good context.

In other words, I was reporting differences with the known-status
as shown by prior builds of the same /usr/ports/ tree. The
difference is just my progressing FreeBSD's version.

I'm even using the exact same machine to do the builds, but with
distinct media. (My good environment's FreeBSD still predates
the zfs import.)

> I remember a recent mail which talks about poudriere failing to copy =
files in resource-limited environments, see =
https://lists.freebsd.org/archives/dev-commits-src-all/2023-April/025153.h=
tml
> While the issue you are trying to pin-point may not be related to this =
discussion, I mention it because it smells to me like we could be in a =
situation where a similar combination of unrelated to each other FreeBSD =
features could form a combination which triggers the issue at hand.

My procedure eliminates this alternative.

=3D=3D=3D
Mark Millard
marklmi at yahoo.com