Date:      Sat, 3 May 2003 08:40:31 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Dan Williams <dan@bigw.org>
To:        Wilko Bulte <wkb@freebie.xs4all.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SCSI and other PCI cards

Hi,

I currently have a Adaptec 2940UW in my AS1000A 5/400.  It works just fine
in FreeBSD.  But, because the card actually came from a Mac, and has the
Mac BIOS, of course it isn't seen by the SRM console and won't boot.  So
I'm limited to the internal Qlogic adapter for booting.  So yes, whatever
you stick in that has FreeBSD drivers will most likely work, but
machine-dependent things like booting won't work.

I also have the same problem with my IBM 7043-140 (43-P): I can stuff any
graphics adapter I want in there, since its PCI, but if I don't use one
that has OpenFirmware BIOS on it, I don't get anything onscreen at all
until Linux starts the card up.  Unfortunately, that means accessing the
machine's BIOS over a serial console, simply becuase the card doesn't have
quite the right code in its ROM.

Dan