Date:      Thu, 27 Jan 2000 10:25:14 -0500 (EST)
From:      Bob K <melange@yip.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   OT: USR Couriers (was Re: Warner's PCI Modem Driver)

On Thu, 27 Jan 2000, Peter Radcliffe wrote:

> Dan Zerkle <zerkle@home.com> probably said:
> > I believe that they were bought by 3COM a few years back.  I also
> > believe that they *invented* winmodems, so be careful.
>
> Pretty much, yes.

I'd like to note that their first Winmodems did, in fact, have a hardware
DSP, and there were various hacks involving their win3.1 driver to get it
working under DOS.  (I wasn't using UNIX [beyond shell accts] back then)

We have PCTel to thank for making the first software DSP modems.

> > That said, the modem I got from them was just fine.  I did have to
> > revert to Windows to flash its ROM's, though.
>
> I am a _big_ fan of external USR couriers, their top of the line modem.
>
> They are _not_ cheap, but for me they are worth it because of the
> saved hassle because they pretty much just work and being flash
> upgradable essentially forever (14.4k couriers can be upgraded to
> V.90).
>
> I like the external models since I can move them between machines
> easily (and use them on non-PCs) as well as being able to reset them
> without rebooting the machine.
>
> Never bought another modem ...

Totally agreed.  My Courier v.Everything started off with v.34, and has
since progressed through v.34+, X2, and v.90.  It's the only piece of
equipment I have that's 4 years old and is in no way obsolete.  (Well,
until I get DSL or cable again, which is several months away)