Date:      Thu, 5 Jul 2001 15:42:13 +0100
From:      Paul Branston <apbran@rannoch.demon.co.uk>
To:        Simon Thorpe <simon_thorpe@c3s.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Dell Inspiron 3800 (was your mail)

On Thu, Jul 05, 2001 at 02:07:04PM +0000, Simon Thorpe wrote:
> All
>
> Unfortunetly I left my laptop at home today and therefore
> didn't get the /var/log/messages from it to help diagnose the
> problems i'm having. However I will pose the issues first and
> see if there is other information I need to research before
> digging into detail.
>
> I've recently aquired a Dell Inspiron 3800 with a PIII 600 in
> it and 256mb RAM. I have a 3Com 3C3FE575CT stuffed into one
> of the pcmcia slots. fbsd 4.3 has been installed and
> everything apart from the following is performing fine.
I have one working with OpenBSD 2.9 on a Dell Inspiron 4000
I would have thought FreeBSD would work with it as well.

> 1. No matter what I do the moused doesn't work. On bootup the
> error... "/dev/psm0 is not configured" is shown. I've done a
> sh MAKEDEV psm0 in /dev, redone the moused setup, yet it
> still seems duff... putting a PS2 mouse in the back also
> doesn't work :(
the trackpad is supposed to be the same as PS2 in any case

> 2. The pcmcia slots dont work, on bootup i'm sure there is a
> line which is talking to the pcmcia controller (i'll have the
> detail tomorrow) but when I run pccarcdc dumpcis, i get the
> report, "No Slots found" I obviously want to enable my
> network card and i'm rather lost.
>
> Can anyone help? My X Server install isn't working either,
> but i'm sure thats due to a duff X install and i'm stuck
> until I can install from a network, i've tried 3 cd's and
> keep getting the same error...

if your grpahics chip is a ATI Rage mobile like mine
you'll need XFree4, I don't think you'll manage with XFree 3.3
When I used OpenBSD2.8 I had to go to XFree4 to get X to work.

have fun. I'm going to try FreeBSD4.3 on a Dell latitude when I
get the time.