Date:      Fri, 5 Jan 2001 13:20:02 -0800 (PST)
From:      Andrew Arensburger <arensb@ooblick.com>
To:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: docs/23823: gethostbyname2 man page is inaccurate

The following reply was made to PR docs/23823; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Andrew Arensburger <arensb@ooblick.com>
To: Alexander Langer <alex@big.endian.de>
Cc: <freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org>, <arensb@ooblick.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2001 16:01:07 -0500 (EST)

 On Fri, 5 Jan 2001, Alexander Langer wrote:
 > Uhm - I'm just curious:
 >
 > What has _NIS_ to do with DNS issues????

 	Nothing directly. The gethost*() functions get the host
 information from either /etc/hosts, NIS, or DNS, as specified in
 /etc/host.conf .
 	gethostbyname() is the classic "get host information" function,
 but it only handles IPv4 (AF_INET). gethostbyname2() is more generic and
 can handle IPv6 (AF_INET6).
 	gethostbyname2("myhost.dom.ain", AF_INET6) works quite well for
 /etc/hosts and DNS. The only case in which it doesn't work, as far as I
 can tell, is with NIS. I don't know whether this is a limitation of NIS
 itself, or just FreeBSD's implementation of it.

 	At any rate, the man page for gethostbyname2() implies that
 only AF_INET works. This doesn't appear to be true.

 --
 Andrew Arensburger                      This message *does* represent the
 arensb@ooblick.com			views of ooblick.com