Date:      Fri, 4 Sep 1998 09:59:40 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Andrzej Bialecki <abial@nask.pl>
To:        freebsd-small@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Flash disk test results

Hi,

A few days ago I received a SanDisk IDE flash disk sent to me by Goran
Hasse of Raditex AB (http://www.raditex.se) - thanks, Goran, for your
involvement! Below I describe my first impressions and experiences (with
some more to follow in next few days).

Well, to begin with the equipment characteristics: it's a 40MB silicon
disk which is equipped with normal IDE and power supply connectors. I
plugged it into the IDE bus, and BIOS recognized it without any problem as
yet another IDE disk.

Then I booted FreeBSD, and it also saw it as yet another IDE disk. I then
created one slice on it, covering the whole disk (in so called "dedicated"
mode - there's no sense to waste space for partition table). Then I went
on with disklabeling it (with -B to make it bootable), and finally did
newfs. All these steps went as usual.

Then I installed slightly modified version of PicoBSD (no MFS in kernel -
all binaries were taken from flash) on that IDE flash disk. This required
modification of startup scripts, in order to mount the flash (/dev/wd0s1a)
as /, and read-only. I'll probably modify this setup further to create
after startup a small MFS and mount it on /tmp, and to mount flash
read-write, but with noatime (to minimize write operations to the flash).

All these operations I did on one machine, and then took out the flash
disk and fitted it into another, test machine - an oldish 486DX with
floppy, no HDD. (BTW. this begs quite another question of convenient
bootstrapping the system using only one machine...).

Then I rebooted, and withheld my breath.. :-)

Well, in short: it was a total success, and it has shown some other
advantages I wasn't quite aware of at that moment.

First impression is, that it's blazingly fast - the whole booting process,
from turning machine on to the login: prompt, takes ca. 30 seconds, and it
can be further tuned down.

The setup I tried uses less memory, because now it's possible to
keep all binaries on the disk, and not on the ramdisk. The difference is
quite substantial, something like 1-2MB of RAM :-).

It was a funny story, indeed: at first I didn't notice this, but then I
suddenly realized that I forgot to put all of those memory chips in the
sockets, and I was running with only 4MB of RAM installed! The picobsd
flavor I used was incidentally the "net" version, AND I was already
running two sessions using full-blown /bin/sh, running inetd _and_ SNMPd
in background! Isn't it amazing?! I can't wait to see what can be done
with "router" version, which uses _so_ less memory than "net"...

So, in the next few days I'm going to perform some other tests to see what
are the capabilities and constraints of various setups. But, in short: it
looks _very_ promising for embedded applications, where the 386SX/4MB RAM
is a standard, and thus far it seems that you can run many things on such
low-end equipment.

Andrzej Bialecki

 <abial@nask.pl>       ||PicoBSD||   FreeBSD in your pocket? Go and see:
 Research & Academic   |+-------+|       "Small & Embedded FreeBSD"