Date:      Mon, 19 Aug 1996 19:22:55 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Michael Dillon <michael@memra.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: newbie isp question

On Tue, 20 Aug 1996, Swee-Chuan Khoo wrote:

>         1) can freebsd machine take more than 65000 user? the uid will
>         ran out, right?

Yes. But if you are going to have that many users you should not be using
the UNIX user database but should be building your own user database.
If you use the Berekely db format to do this it mates nicely with sendmail
and you only need to modify a few services to work with it like POP, IMAP,
RADIUS and maybe httpd.

>         2) radius. CHAP can't use radius with password pointing to
>         unix password file, is that true?

Not true. RADIUS is a protocol for a NAS (Network Access Server) to
communicate with an Authentication Server. The AS can use whatever it
wants to for verifying the password and user name. Since CHAP is part of
the PPP protocol set, the AS has nothing to do with it. If you have any
questions about CHAP and RADIUS you should be asking your NAS vendors
whether their PPP implementation will do CHAP and emit RADIUS queries.

And if you are looking for a custom billing system built around commercial
4GL RDBMS technology then send me an email.

Michael Dillon                   -               ISP & Internet Consulting
Memra Software Inc.              -                  Fax: +1-604-546-3049
http://www.memra.com             -               E-mail: michael@memra.com