Date:      Tue, 10 Jan 1995 20:06:50 -0500
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@halloran-eldar.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        jc@irbs.com
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com (freebsd-hackers)
Subject:   Re: The routes from hell

<<On Tue, 10 Jan 1995 18:33:45 -0500 (EST), John Capo <jc@irbs.com> said:

> The minimum timeout appears to be 10 minutes.

Actually, that's the maximum time between timeout runs.  If you look
at the tree-walk function, you'll see that it takes the minimum of
(this node's expiration time) and (what we figured before).  The
intent is to make it easier to dynamically reconfigure the timeout.
Otherwise, if you started up the system, created a few routes, and
then changed the timeout value, then the next timeout run wouldn't be
scheduled for another four hours, which is not a good situation to be
in.  So, I guarantee that the tree will always be checked at least
once every 10 minutes, and possibly more often if something is
expected to time out sooner than that.  (The comment is misleading,
and dates from an earlier implementation, as does the `rtq' prefix.)

-GAWollman

--
Garrett A. Wollman   | Shashish is simple, it's discreet, it's brief. ...
wollman@lcs.mit.edu  | Shashish is the bonding of hearts in spite of distance.