Date:      Tue, 22 Jul 1997 13:22:19 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        dfr@nlsystems.com, alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Its arrived

> Installing NetBSD would probably not be a bad idea at all, though if
> you're looking for an environment from which to bootstrap your efforts
> (that being why there are 2 drives in those machines with only one
> actually populated :-) then you're probably best off with what you've
> got installed on it right now - Digital UNIX.  DUX is a stable
> development platform, it has a decent toolchain (and a compiler which
> generally produces better code that gcc at present) and all the X
> frobs you could possibly want (plus some you probably won't, like CDE :-).

I guess, at least initially, the arguemnt for using the NT vs. the
OSF microcode has been rescinded?

> I'll also admit that pure laziness largely dictated my own choice - I
> looked at the NetBSD installation and thought "It's distributed as an
> rz25 disk image... Hmmmm.  How very interesting.  Now where did I
> leave that Digital UNIX CDROM?" :-)

It's is relatively trivial to take any 450M or larger disk and dd
the image to it.  After this, you can modify the disklabel relatively
easily to span the whole disk (be sure and frob up the number of
partitions in the label at the same time, or it won't stick).

Since the disk geometry is not used (except to pester the user with
asterisks in the label editing process for no good reason, since
the damn drives are ZBR'ed anyway), one absolute sector offset is
as good as another.

I had a number of problems with the swap.  You must explicity name
it "swap" in the label for it to work; this is a bit of a pain.
Also the default device name was wrong in the /etc/fstab it installed.

Other than that, it was not too terrible.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.