Date:      Sun, 14 Mar 1999 23:40:27 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        roelof@eboa.com (Roelof Osinga)
Cc:        cjclark@home.com, jdp@polstra.com, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CVSup: a newbie's tale.

Roelof Osinga wrote,

> My guess is that (3.1-RELEASE, ports from Internet, one CVSup performed)
> the examples were like this. Since - here it comes again <g> - the
> manual does not make clear enough what the basedir will contain -
> although we have now established that supfiles are not necessarily
> amongst whatever it is - it is not made clear enough that it should
> indeed be pointing to something like /usr/local/etc/cvsup, nor why.
>
> Now in my case I thought it best to keep with the defaults as much
> as possible. Did not combine supfiles, nor edit them other than changing
> the default host. And ended up with a mess below /usr. Unfortunately
> since the manual does not specify what files CVSup maintains I don't
> know how to repair things. As a guess I would say that moving the sup/
> dir to /usr/local/etc/cvsup would suffice, but can not be sure.

You cut this out of that supfile,

# base=/usr
#               This specifies the root where CVSup will store information
#               about the collections you have transferred to your system.
#               A setting of "/usr" will generate this information in
#               /usr/sup.  Even if you are CVSupping a large number of
#               collections, you will be hard pressed to generate more than
#               ~1MB of data in this directory.  You can override the
#               "base" setting on the command line with cvsup's "-b base"
#               option.  This directory must exist in order to run CVSup.

Now what is not clear there?

I've kind of lost track of what your complaint was. I thought you were
confused by the location of the supfile. But as I pointed out, you
alywas need to specify the supfile on the command line, which makes a
default location unecessary additional complexity. Now you are talking
about the sup directory?

> Another thing it wouldn't hurt to do is to warn people (like me :) not
> to link to the example files. For they can and will be updated when one
> updates the port collection. Thereby undoing whatever changes one had
> done.

I had the /usr/share/mk files clobbered which caused problems next
time I tried to build a port.