Date:      Wed, 19 Sep 2001 13:02:31 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        daniel.fisher@vt.edu
Cc:        Marco Wertejuk <wertejuk@mwcis.com>, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: how to setup wireless card

> Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 15:48:18 -0400
> From: Daniel Fisher <dfisher@vt.edu>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> The card appears to be working fine.
> I can ping it's IP address externally, but only when fxp0 (ethernet port) is UP.
> I just can't seem to send data from the host.
> ifconfig says:
> wi0 is UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST
> fxp0 is UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST
>
> My guess is I need to configure FreeBSD to use both network devices.

The issue is one of routing and the answer is dependent on just what
you want to do and how. Right now I suspect you have a default
pointing to the fxp card, so most traffic will go that way.

Try 'netstat -rnf inet' and see what routing you have. You will likely
see a default pointing at the router on the Ethernet while there will
be a single route for the wireless subnet (along with loopback and LAN
local addresses for the Ethernet).

Do you want to use the wireless or the Ethernet for external
connectivity? If you want to use the wireless, you need to change the
default to point to that interface. If you want to act as a router,
you will need to configure that, which might means using some routing
protocol, but likely means setting up static routes using the route
command.

Looks like your 802.11b card is up and running. Now you just have to
tell the system how to use it. Good luck!

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)