Date:      Fri, 16 Oct 1998 09:13:50 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Ron G. Minnich" <rminnich@Sarnoff.COM>
To:        stephen farrell <stephen@farrell.org>
Cc:        Gary Roberts <gdr@wcs.uq.edu.au>, emulation@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: applixware discussion

On 15 Oct 1998, stephen farrell wrote:
> Have you written to Applix about this problem?

I will do that, I am somewhat mad at them as this is the second time I
have bought product from them based on their claims and it has not worked.
I just keep trying to support these underdogs, and getting burned.

> As I wrote, the filters appear to work OK for Word and Excel, I don't
> have any powerpoint docs to test with.  One document which didn't load
> for me was a Dutch word8 file, but the others I tried were fine
> (admittedly a small sample set -- like 3 or 4).  Nevertheless, I think
> your statement is too strong, especially in light of the dearth of
> competing products.

You've tried 3 or 4 things. I've tried lots more. It does not work for
most of them. It can barely manage simple text-based documents. Most Word
files are fast-saved (i.e. Save option on menu or ^S from keyboard), and
the filter that reads these files warns you up front that it can not read
them reliably. So for most files you read, you are going to get a warning
that they can not be read reliably. You can't in most cases call the
customer up and ask them to use 'Save As' on that document they just sent
you! I don't see how stating it does not work is too strong -- you have to
see how badly it has done in reading files in! It is quite useless for M$
Office document sharing.

ron