Date:      Mon, 10 Jul 2000 20:57:02 +0200
From:      Roelof Osinga <roelof@nisser.com>
To:        Robert Withrow <witr@rwwa.com>
Cc:        Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DHCP problem with 4.0

Robert Withrow wrote:

> If you use DHCP with PCMCIA cards, the hostname (and other stuff) doesn't get
> set until you get your address much later in the startup sequence.  Is there
> (or has anyone invented) a way to make pcmcia DHCP happen at the same
> time normal interface DHCP happens?  Or is there some other way of dealing
> with this that I've missed?

Don't know about PCMCIA, but in my case (turned out I already had
the packet filter included in) what did the trick was setting:

ifconfig_ed0="DHCP"
defaultrouter="NO"

in rc.conf. Whilest booting you see it configuring the interfaces
and then querying the DHCP server for the rest. If PCMCIA is
different then I can only imagine that's because those infterfaces
get configured later in the resource configuration process.

Maybe you can move it up a bit?

Roelof

--
dog's site @ http://cairni.com/