Date:      Mon, 28 Sep 1998 18:04:17 +1200 (NZST)
From:      Andrew McNaughton <andrew@squiz.co.nz>
To:        Chris Foote <chris@senet.com.au>
Cc:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, Jim Mock <jim@thunder.st0rm.com>, isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: backbone connections in Australia

On Mon, 28 Sep 1998, Chris Foote wrote:

> Probably your best bet is a satellite connection with your own dish
> at Wagga Wagga (big links to Sydney would cost big bucks from where
> you are located).
>
> We have a 4Mbit satellite link, quite affordable at just over 1 million
> per year; see:
>
> 	Panamsat:    http://www.panamsat.com/
> 	AAP Sat Tel: +61 02 9692 1089
>
> (You would need a small terrestrial link for outbound traffic as well).
>
> IMHO, I'll have latency over packet loss any day - international
> traffic is so much nicer :-)

1 million dollars?

Ihug offers sattelite dishes to home users in new zealand with a similar
arrangement re phonel ine for outgoing data.  They charge $600 setup + $79
per month for a 400Kbit link.  Your setup is ten times the  bandwidth for
1000 times the price.  Latency is reportedly about 0.1 second.  I believe
they're moving into the Australian market.

Andrew