Date:      Wed, 17 Jan 2001 12:46:47 -0700
From:      Rainer Heilke <rheilke@worldgate.ca>
To:        "Koster, K.J." <K.J.Koster@kpn.com>
Cc:        "'Kevin Oberman'" <oberman@es.net>, hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: psmintr:out of sync

I've actually been thinking about it, and using SSH wouldn't help me
anyways. (I'm not to worried about security, as I'm behind a firewall,
and no-one else in the house knows anything beyond basic MS WinDoze. If
my firewall is broken, I have much bigger worries.)

SSH can't (as far as I know) present the multiple desktops you see on an
X-Window session (which would be a pain for me, as my desktops on the
BSD box are crowded enough), and one app I run (SoftWindows) on the
Sparc would be a pig over the network, if it ran at all (it's slow
enough just on the server it runs on -- like I say, and *old* Sparc...).
I'm not sure how well it would work displayed on an XFree session,
instead of the X-Windows that comes with Solaris, and haven't had the
inclination to test it.

So, for many people, a KVM is definitely a matter of choice, but for
some, it is a requirement (an expensive one, but...) The way I figure,
if you *do* need a KVM, you are better getting a good one. The savings
on a cheaper one aren't worth it. (Sounds a lot like most tech toys...)
If you don't, spend the money on RAM, or something.

But, it is starting to get off-topic, and I certainly have no interest
in starting a flame-war over something that is, for most, a matter of
taste as you say. (So, how about that vi vs. emacs, eh? ;-)

Rainer Heilke