Date:      Fri, 30 Mar 2001 08:30:54 -0800 (PST)
From:      David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>
To:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG, jan@chrillesen.dk
Cc:        morten@skriver.dk
Subject:   Re: Aironet in -current

>Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 18:26:03 +0200
>From: Jan Chrillesen <jan@chrillesen.dk>

>Has anyone got the an driver working with -current?

Certainly.

>I just got my hands on a Cisco Aironet 340 access point and two pccard
>adaptors, but it doesn't work with FreeBSD. The card works fine with
>my girlfriends laptop running Windows 98, so the card and the access
>point is OK.

>The card is detected fine:

>pccard: card inserted, slot 1
>an0: <Aironet PC4500/PC4800> at port 0x240-0x27f irq 10 slot 1 on pccard1
>an0: Ethernet address: 00:40:96:38:27:d4

>Also, ancontrol sees the card as expected:

>The AP doesn't see the card at all and no packets is seen at the AP.
>I've tried changing the Operating mode to infrastructure, altough I have
>no clue on what that means :)

Well, "infrastructure" is the mode you want in order to talk to an AP,
so it sounds like a pretty good bet that this is what you want.

You will probably also want to find out what the proper SSID ("network
name") is.

>My laptop is a Thinkpad 600E running -current from 3 days ago.

I'm running an older -STABLE on my 600E, but recent -STABLEs and
-CURRENTs on my personal laptop (rebuilding each daily); using the 340
cards.  We use a Cisco/Aironet AP at work, and I use an Apple Airport at
home.

Cheers,
david
As a computing professional, I believe it would be unethical for me to
advise, recommend, or support the use (save possibly for personal
amusement) of any product that is or depends on any Microsoft product.