Date:      Tue, 13 May 1997 10:04:40 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Simon Shapiro <Shimon@i-Connect.Net>
To:        Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, (Michael Smith) <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>, Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
Subject:   Re: URGENT:  Printing an X11 screen.  How?

Hi Christoph Kukulies;  On 13-May-97 you wrote:
> > Simon Shapiro stands accused of saying:
> > [Charset iso-8859-8 unsupported, filtering to ASCII...]
> > > Once upon a time there used to be an wwd-xwud-xpr and somethingtopbm
> that
> > > could print an X window or a portion thereof.
> > >
> > > Now all I see is xwd and xwud, whose man page refers to xpr which is
> > > nowhere to be seen.  xtopbm from pbmnet only deals with bitmaps.
> > >
> > > I need, urgently to dump to a printer a number of X11 screens.  How?
> >
> > Use xv to grab your screen/window, then print from there.  (You'll
> > need a postscript printer/interpreter, I use apsfilter.)
>
> netpbm (I believe) has xwdtopnm.
> You can do a xwd | xwdtopnm | <any pnm filter like one that converts to
> ps>

Thanx.  This is what I get when i try it:

$xwd -frame | xwdtopnm | pnmtops > /tmp/xfmail.ps
xwdtopnm: writing PPM file
pnmtops: maxval of 65535 is too large for PostScript
Broken pipe

The xv option works just perfectly fine.  I could investigate the above
error
but have no time now.  Maybe later.

Thanx!

Simon