Date:      Tue, 25 Nov 1997 22:50:06 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        nate@mt.sri.com (Nate Williams)
Cc:        steve@visint.co.uk, nate@mt.sri.com, julian@whistle.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, peter@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BIND 8.1.1

> > How many (any?) new users will chose Linux/BSDi/Solaris or whatever else
> > is now running 8.1.1 by default ?
>
> Only those who don't do their homework.  There is no need for 8.1.1 for
> *anyone*, and since it will be changing, it'll be *more* work for them
> to upgrade to the next version when it comes up since it will also
> contain new changes, while if they stick with 4.9.6 (or if new bugs are
> found, 4.9.7, or whatever) until BIND 8 'stabilizes', the upgrade will
> only require *one* big change, rather than possibly lots of changes as
> BIND 8 is modified.
>
> I'm sure Paul Vixie doesn't want the same thing to happen with BIND that
> happened with sendmail, so that the sendmail.cf file changed on a
> regular basis, and that a new version was required every week.  I'll bet
> he wants to get all of the little 'niggly details' shaken out of BIND 8
> before calling it *the* new standard, so that's why he's still
> maintaining Bind 4.9.X for folks.

Last time I talked to him about it, he said that there will be no further
developement on 4.9.X after X==6.  This was about a month and a half
ago.

The big pain on an 8.x upgrade is the config file format has changed
(there's good reasons for this, though it remains annoying no matter
how good the reasons).

The changeover will have to be eaten at some point; better to do it
while there are existing conversion scripts, IMO; how smooth would an
upgrade from 1.1.5.1 to -current be today?  8-(.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.