Date:      Wed, 13 Mar 2002 14:07:06 -0500 (EST)
From:      batz <batsy@vapour.net>
To:        Adam Wight <adamw@brsys.com>
Cc:        Andrew McNaughton <andrew@scoop.co.nz>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Managing port security upgrades (was:Re: PHP 4.1.2)

On Wed, 13 Mar 2002, Adam Wight wrote:

:What about a new make target, "upgrade," that only sync'ed the ports
:subtree for the port being built and its dependencies?

Hrm, so it would be implemented in the makefiles of the entire ports
collection? A top level makefile or one in each port?

I was thinking about this a bit more, and it occured to me that
using /var/db/pkg as a reference point, and either sup'ing a new
port, which would then get a sort of 'reverse dependancies' list,
from /var/db/pkg/portname/+REQUIRED_BY, and selectively upgrading
anything in there which had the original port as a dependancy.

That sounds like it might run into problems with recursion, thoughts?

--
batz