Date:      22 Aug 2002 20:21:25 -0700
From:      Ken McGlothlen <mcglk@artlogix.com>
To:        Bsd Neophyte <bsdneophyte@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: need some advice on a freebsd solution

Bsd Neophyte <bsdneophyte@yahoo.com> writes:

| you're the second person who's suggested bochs.  i'm doing some reading on
| it... however, the documentation could use a little more detail, at least for
| me with more extensive examples.

Lordy yes, the documentation could use a lot of work.  Fortunately, it's not
especially hard to set up.

| is there some special scripting that will be needed to terminate the SSH
| session when the client exits from the DOS application?

Your .login file would probably have:

        [bochs stuff]
        logout

That'd be it.

Not the most secure thing in the world, but it'll work.

| hmmm... see, i always thought that bochs would be a total dos emulator.

Most emulators of this sort are *hardware* emulators.  Still need the software
to go with it.

| any dos will do right?

Yeah.  I imagine finding a copy of MSDOS 6.22 won't be too hard.

| as for graphics... can you please define dos graphics?  does this mean ASCI
| graphics...

Well, at least those funny above-127 extended ASCII characters, or any sort of
graphics (as in pictures).  Might have problems doing that over something like
PuTTY.

| this dos application runs as a menu system... does this count as a graphical
| interface?

Hopefully not.  :)

| does bochs have a newsgroup as effictive as this one incase i come into
| problems?

Well, I don't know about their effectiveness, but they have a bochs-announce,
bochs-developers, and bochs-cvs lists:

| this can be done... i was thinking of a system with at least 512mb and a
| 30gb drive...

That should do it.  Assuming a simple DOS program and 20MB disks, 100 users
will use around 300MB of RAM and 2GB of diskspace.