Date:      Tue, 29 Oct 1996 16:31:39 +0100 (MET)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD-current users)
Subject:   Re: Request to add this to FAQ re: swap space

As John S. Dyson wrote:

> The issue is that there are alot of individuals who run X in 16-32MB and
> will complain if they cannot have 20-30 X applications running (perhaps
> inactive, on swap space.)  You can easily run out of swap space in that

You mean people like me?

j@ida 834% swapinfo -k
Device      1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Type
/dev/sd0b      153600    60280    93256    39%    Interleaved
j@ida 835% ps -alx|wc -l
      92

The machine has 32 MB RAM, so i would be close to be out of swap if i
had only 2 x RAM. :-)

The above is likely to become even worse if somebody starts printing
PostScript... the ghostscript runs on my machine, too.  I usually
almost don't notice this though.  Besides, that's a typical situation
where it's perfectly possible to start burning a CD-R, too. :-)  (This
runs with team(1) allocating 5 MB userland cache.)

--
cheers, J"org