Date:      Fri, 26 Apr 2002 07:51:26 +0000
From:      "Richard Shea" <richardshea@fastmail.fm>
To:        "Bryan K. Ogawa" <bko@idiom.com>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /usr/X11R6 and /usr/src - can i get rid of them ?

On Tue, 23 Apr 2002 00:11:02 -0700, "Bryan K. Ogawa" <bko@idiom.com>
said:
> In localhost.freebsd.questions, you wrote:
> > Hi - I've got machine running FreeBSD 3.4 which does not run X. I would
> > like free up some disk space. When I look around for things to throw I
> > found /usr/X11R6 and /usr/src both of which seem to be relatively
> > large.
> >
> > Given that I never use X can I just delete /usr/X11R6 ?.
>
> In general, this would probably work, BUT you would need to make sure
> that none of your programs have an optional X interface (examples
> include emacs and xemacs).  If they do, they might be linked against
> libraries in the X directory.  If I were doing it, it would at least
> move it out of the way and see if it broke anything first, and
> possibly choose to only delete binaries that i'm sure I wouldn't use
> from /usr/X11R6/bin .

Bryan - Thanks for the information and sorry it's taken me so long to
reply. Your comments about other things being dependent on X does ring
some bells with something I've installed in the past so I think I might
steer clear of that. In fact having thought about it in the light of
what you've said I've decided probably the least pain is going to be to
bit the bullet and put more disk in. I didn't really want to do this
because it's a production web server for which there is no redundancy -
hence there'll be 404's all the time it's out of action and I'm worried
about how long it's going to take me to install the new disk but ... as
I say I think that's probably going to be the best approach. Thanks
again for your reply.

regards

richard shea.

--