Date:      Thu, 11 Apr 1996 05:07:07 -0500
From:      "Daniel M. Eischen" <deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org>
To:        jkh@FreeBSD.ORG, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Lesstif (motif compatible) package.

> >       Speaking about motif, is there anyway to have the same X
> > environment as in what is used on SUNOS 5.3 (Solaris) on SUN Sparc5's and
> > what is used on HP Apollo Workstations with the same desktop under FreeBSD?
> >
>> Richard

[...]
> Starting with Solaris 2.4, Sun included the Motif libraries and header
> files, but it took until Solaris 2.5 to receive the Motif window
> manager, some useful Motif tools, and the Motif man pages, as part of the
> Common Desktop Environment (which is on a separate CD-ROM).  I believe HP
> workstations use Motif (and have long before Sun adopted it), so I suspect
> this is what you're referring to.

I know this is wishful thinking, but do you think Walnut Creek could buy
the Motif Developers Source License?  I think it's around $15,000.00 US.

Porting it to FreeBSD shouldn't be too hard for all the FreeBSD guru's
and since it's a CPU license, Walnut Creek could also sell Motif for
Linux as well as FreeBSD.  And since Walnut Creek has a big market share
they could have very competitive prices...

Selling a Developers Motif would, I think, require giving OSF ~$40
per copy sold.  Less for just the window manager.

And, if Motif/CDE become integrated into the next Motif version, Walnut
Creek could just pay the price of an upgrade and we'd have CDE for FreeBSD.

How's that for wishful thinking!

Dan Eischen
deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org