Date:      Fri, 7 Feb 2020 06:08:23 -0500
From:      Jerry <jerry@seibercom.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Updating BIOS

--Sig_/FyiLCweJwykRz8DcV3+fnX=

On Fri, 7 Feb 2020 00:04:16 -0800, David Christensen stated:
>On 2020-02-06 05:58, Jerry wrote:
>> I have a PC running FreeBSD 11.3 / amd64. I need to update the BIOS.
>> The BIOS update file is from Dell and is an "EXE" file. What is the
>> recommended method for updating the BIOS using that file?
>>=20
>> Thanks! =20
>
>Newer Dell machines have a CMOS Setup and/or Boot Menu item for
>updating the firmware from an *.exe file on a USB stick (FAT32?).
>Check the documentation (or press F2, F6, F10, or F12 during POST and
>fumble your way through).
>

>David

That is the method I used, David. Polytropon seems to think it is
complicated. I have no idea why. Cleaning and formatting to FAT32 a USB
stick is maybe a 30 second job on an MS machine. Downloading and placing
the new BIOS file onto the stick perhaps takes another minute or so.
Sticking the USB into the slot and rebooting and then pressing F12 to
bring up the menu is probably system dependent; however, it certainly
did not take very long on my machine. Choosing "FLASH BIOS" from the
menu is painless. Highlighting the file already displayed and hitting
INSTALL and then drinking my coffee, priceless. It auto reboots and the
system is up and running again.

Honestly, other then the method used on  my MS machines that use a
vendor supplied program to download and install a BIOS update, only
requiring me to click OK, I don't know how much easier it get.

--=20
Jerry