Date:      Mon, 10 Oct 2005 15:15:05 +1000
From:      Peter Grehan <grehan@freebsd.org>
To:        Tim Simmons <TimSimmons@championrealty.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Panic on boot from CD

Hi Tim,

> Greetings all, Having an issue booting for the install cd
> 6.0-20050518-SNAP-powerpc-disc1.iso.
>
> I get the prompt to press enter to boot (booting /boot/kernel/kernel in x
> seconds), and if I hit enter or let it boot automatically, I get:
>
> KDB: debugger backends: ddb
>
> KDB: current backend: ddb
>
> Panic: mutex All locks list not owned at /usr/src/sys/kern/kern_mutex.c:299
>
> KDB: enter: panic
> Any thoughts? Thanks.

  Would that be an eMac by any chance ? :)

  I've yet to get to the bottom of this, though I have an idea or two as
to why it's happening.

  In the meantime, the workaround (at least on my ageing eMac), is to
break into OpenFirmware (cmd-opt-o-f at the boot chime) and manually
boot from the OpenFirmware prompt

  0 > boot cd:,\boot\loader cd:0

later,

Peter.