Date:      Tue, 11 Sep 2001 09:41:53 +0200
From:      Jesper Skriver <jesper@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Mattias Pantzare <pantzer@ludd.luth.se>
Cc:        Jordan Hubbard <jkh@freebsd.org>, hubs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 4.4 upcoming release/timetabling/mirroring

On Tue, Sep 11, 2001 at 12:45:37AM +0200, Mattias Pantzare wrote:
> > > I am sorry but this is simply not true! The tier-n thing has ben discussed,
> > > but not implemented or agreed to in any formal way. If it is then that fact has not
> > > reached the mirror maintainers.
> >
> > Well, I'm honestly not sure how the mirror maintainers could have
> > missed the discussion in hubs at the time, but you may rest assured
> > that the maintainers of ftp-master.freebsd.org see things this way and
> > if you want to make it official, then consider it official.  Only full
> > and complete mirrors should be talking to ftp-master.freebsd.org.  The
> > whole multi-tier mirroring arrangement just can't work any other way.
>
> Nice, then we have to implement it. :-)
>
> We still have to agree on what amount of space one have to have available to
> have a complete mirror, and give mirror maintainers time to get more space
> when we realise that things are going to grow. Is is impossible to agree to
> be a complete mirror without that information.

I agree, I just had to do a "emergency" upgrade of ftp.dk.FreeBSD.org
when it's former 65 GB RAID5 thingy ran out of space during the 4.4-RC*
run ...

If we can decide that a tier1 mirror is required to have, say 100
GB available, then it's up to the release engineer to ensure that
no more than 98 GB is on ftp-master, thus ensuring that the
mirrors won't run out of space.

/Jesper

Work:    Network manager   @ AS3292 (Tele Danmark DataNetworks)
Private: FreeBSD committer @ AS2109 (A much smaller network ;-)