Date:      Fri, 26 Apr 2002 10:43:34 +0200
From:      Gabriel Ambuehl <gabriel_ambuehl@buz.ch>
To:        Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re[2]: dhclient going crazy...

Hello Bill,

>> this required, nice, uuh) as the ISP feels I've been running DoS
>> attacks
>> against its DHCP servers:
> Sure sounds like bullsh*t to me.

I later had a call from one of the NOC guys who actually appeared to
know something about the whole issue and he didn't claim I was
running
DoS but thought that there might be a bug in the dhclient.

> From the looks of the arp messages
> below, it doesn't look like you're the one changing MAC addresses.

Actually, there's a whole lot of those ARP changes for the GW, could
it be that dhclient went crazy about it?

>> one hour later, went on for about ten minuted and stopped, the
>> whole cycle was repeated for several hours from 17:00 to 23:XX.
>> What is happening here? And how can I prevent it from happening
>> again?
> It really looks to me like your ISPs DHCP server is whacked.  Maybe

That's originally what I expected to be the reason too but the NOC
guy
told me that they're running with 60min leases.

> it's giving out incredibly short lease times, requiring you to
> renew your lease often.  Check /var/db/dhclient.leases to see what
> the
> DHCP server has been up to.

Can't do that now cause at the moment, it's working like it should,
i.e. no representative data there for me...

>> interface in it (its primary job is running ipnat for the LAN
>> behind it) (dc0) was experiencing weird problem (watchdog
>> timeouts...).
> Could be other problems on your end perhaps?  Have you monitored
> your MAC address while this was happening (via ifconfig) to see if
> it was changing?

Unfortunately not as I only got to know about it afterwards (and even
then only after two days of bothering the helpdesk about my lost of
connectivity, cool, eh).

> I'm making some guesses here, Gabe, because I've never seen
> anything like this before.

Neither did I. The box in question has a somewhat doubtful internal
(dc0) interface that would generate watchdog alerts from time to time
since a few week but despite it was running for more than a year
without a single problem. I sure did upgrade it from time to time but
as STABLE really is stable for the very most part, I never ever
encountered any trouble while on it...

Best regards,
 Gabriel