Date:      Sat, 03 Oct 1998 19:21:07 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        opsys@mail.webspan.net, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: your mail

> I saw two articles by SEF more recent than that, in Dr. Dobb's
> Journal.

DDJ is not what I consider "mainstream" in the same sense that I
consider the more, erm, "market driven" publications (which hardly
ever mention us :) "mainstream."  It's a great techie magazine, don't
get me wrong, and I was perfectly happy to see SEF publish his two
articles in it (I even got him extra cash for doing it), but it's
not what I was talking about.

> I have also seen at least 7 articles in various publications.

As have I - I get a lot of them sent to me.  Of all I've seen,
however, the only mention which would fit my definition of mainstream
press penetration is the PC Magazine article this month (FreeBSD
2.2.7, pp 227. :) which really, for me at least, marked a final
re-entrance of FreeBSD into this realm after a long absence.
Can't say how much more of it I'm going to see, but it was nice
to see it all the same.

> In the August 1998 ";login", the USENIX Association's magazine,

More than just August - he's been running a series for at least the
last 5 issues.  I review most of them before they run, time
permitting.

> Also, do not forget the WIDE project.
>
> Though FreeBSD has consistently failed to integrate their code
> (starting with their IPv6 and DHCP implementations, and most
> recently, with the failure to integrate their IPSEC implementation),
> nevertheless, there is a large academic following for BSD in general
> and FreeBSD in particular.

Don't start digging the grave on that yet.  We haven't said we
*weren't* going to commit their code either, and that's at least a
mark of differentiation between us and the other *BSDs which have
already pretty much cast their votes.

- Jordan