Date:      Wed, 02 Jun 1999 11:57:32 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        mi@aldan.algebra.com
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: can not mount root :( -- hardwired SCSI?

Mikhail Teterin wrote:

> I  tried to  upgrade my  -stable  machine after  a couple  of months  of
> uptime. Whatever the kernel I build now (from May 26 sources) refuses to
> mount / and panics. I see  "switching to /dev/da0s1a", then to /dev/da0a
> and then panicing... I'm using the May 26 snapshot's generic kernel, but
> I have  to manualy load  ccd.ko with it,  and it is  1 Mb bigger  then I
> need.

You really don't talk about doing a "make world" and running
"mergemaster" to upgrade the rest of your system before you did your
kernel build.

There were massive changes that aren't accounted for if you didn't
upgrade everything. I'm also running 3.2-stable but I'm 29 May 1999.

Kent

> [...]
> options         NFS                     #Network File System
>
> options         PROCFS                  #Process filesystem
> options         FFS_ROOT                #FFS usable as root device
>
> options         SOFTUPDATES
>
> options         NSWAPDEV=6
>
> options         "P1003_1B"
> options         "_KPOSIX_PRIORITY_SCHEDULING"
> options         "_KPOSIX_VERSION=199309L"
>
> controller      eisa0
> controller      ahc0
>
> controller      scbus0 at ahc0 bus 0
> controller      scbus1 at ahc0 bus 1
>
> disk da0 at scbus0 target 1
> disk da1 at scbus0 target 2
> disk da2 at scbus0 target 3
> disk da3 at scbus0 target 6
> disk da4 at scbus1 target 3
> disk da6 at scbus1 target 6
>
> device          cd0     #SCSI CD-ROMs
> device          od0     #SCSI optical disk
> device          sa0     #SCSI tapes
> device          pass0   #CAM passthrough driver
>
> device pt0 at scbus?    # SCSI processor type
> device sctarg0 at scbus? # SCSI target
>
> pseudo-device   pty     256     #Pseudo ttys - can go as high as 256
> pseudo-device   speaker         #Play IBM BASIC-style noises out your speaker
> pseudo-device   gzip            #Exec gzipped a.out's
> pseudo-device   vn              #Vnode driver (turns a file into a device)
> pseudo-device   ccd     3       #Concatenated disk driver
>
> # Size of the kernel message buffer.  Should be N * pagesize.
> #options                "MSGBUF_SIZE=40960"
>
> controller      isa0
>
> options         "AUTO_EOI_1"
> options         "AUTO_EOI_2"
>
> controller      atkbdc0 at isa? port IO_KBD tty
> device          atkbd0  at isa? tty irq 1
> device          psm0    at isa? tty irq 12
> device          vga0    at isa? port ? conflicts
>
> # Splash screen at start up!  Screen savers require this too.
> pseudo-device   splash
>
> device          sc0     at isa? tty
> options         MAXCONS=12              # number of virtual consoles
>
> # To include support for VESA video modes
> # Dont use together with SMP!!
> #options                VESA                    # needs VM86 defined too!!
>
> device          npx0    at isa? port IO_NPX iosiz 0x0 flags 0x0 irq 13
>
> controller      fdc0    at isa? port "IO_FD1" bio irq 6 drq 2
> disk            fd0     at fdc0 drive 0
>
> device          sio0    at isa? port "IO_COM1" tty flags 0x10 irq 4
> device          sio1    at isa? port "IO_COM2" tty flags 0x10 irq 4 vector siointr
> device          sio2    at isa? port "0x2e8" tty flags 0x10 irq 11 vector siointr
>
> device ep0 at isa? port 0x300 net irq 10
>
> controller      snd0
> device sb0      at isa? port 0x220 irq 5 drq 1
> device sbxvi0   at isa? drq 5
> device sbmidi0  at isa? port 0x330
>
> options AHC_ALLOW_MEMIO
>
> controller      ppbus0
> controller      vpo0    at ppbus?
> device          nlpt0   at ppbus?
>
> controller      ppc0    at isa? port ? cam irq 7

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kstewart@3-cities.com

Hunting Archibald Stewart, b 1802 in Ballymena, Antrim Co., NIR
http://www.3-cities.com/~kstewart/genealogy/archibald_stewart.html